compileIt for revolution?

Jerry Daniels jerry at daniels-mara.com
Thu Jun 23 14:23:32 EDT 2005

CompileIt! lovers and haters...

YESTERDAY

I would have to agree with Rob, here. I used CompileIt! to the point
where I made a small C app that RAN externals only and I would get
CompileIt! to compile into that app (called HyperApp). I then wrote a
front end (in CompileIt!) to write and manage my code in. I've moved a
great deal of my code management features from it into Constellation
(www.daniels-mara.com/products).

The CompileIt! Xternal performance (if there weren't too many text call
backs) was breath-taking. Tom Pittman created a great tool there. The
early versions were slow to compile and frustrating, but the the last
versions were killer and had a very good debugger.

Tom Pittman DID write CompileIt! in 68000 assembler using HyperTalk to
do that! He was a purist indeed. I learned a tremendous amount about
everyday coding using pointers, handles, bitwise math and bunches of
goodies--all in my fav lingua, HyperTalk. As a tool, today it would be
tremendously helpful.

TODAY

Doing CompileIt! today would be challenging in a multiplatform
environs, because one of the great parts of CompileIt was its toolbox
access. HOWEVER, HyperCard had its own toolbox, too. PERHAPS Rev has
such a thing that we could call from externals and shield us from the
individual API's for the varous platform. These HyperCard callbacks
were binary callbacks with data-typed params, so they were every bit as
fast as C or a OS toolbox call.

WIth Revolution binary callbacks from XCMDs the task of creating a
compiler and debugger might be a bit more manageable and certainly
would be a fun project.

TOMORROW

Enough history and what-if's!

BOTTOM LINE: I'm interested. My company (Daniels & Mara, creators of
Constellation) would be interested in discussing a commercial venture.
Not sure I'm all that interested in an open-source, design-by-committee
free-for-all, I'd, of course, prefer a real project with direction and
technical/financial purpose. There are several large hurdles in the
process.

Let's keep this discussion going.

Best,

Jerry