the := operator (affectation

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Thu Jun 23 13:40:06 EDT 2005

On Jun 23, 2005, at 11:17 AM, Dennis Brown wrote:

> The "get x" construct is already a syntactic equivalent of "it= x"
> (left assignment).
> That could be expanded to the general form "it gets x".
> Now we have a general xTalk flavored version using the new "gets"
> keyword.
> From there just substitute any shortcut for "gets" like "gts" or "=".
>
> There you have it.  Elegance, consistency, and brevity!

There is nothing elegant about "=" for assignment.  IMHO, ":=" is much
superior and is less offensive.  In mathematics "=" is a relation or
sometimes a function or sometimes used in "where" or "let" syntax
(named value scoping).

Commands in xTalk follow the English implied-you imperatives.  The
deviation from that to a descriptive of the dataflow does not fit.  I
come from a functional programming background, but I accept the
imperative style.

Dar