Resources to learn C programming

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Thu Jun 23 09:35:05 EDT 2005

Alejandro Tejada wrote:

>For example, i've read this book written
>by Mike Westerfield, for ORCA C in Apple II
>and i like his writing style... :-D
>
>"Learn to program in C"
>
><http://www.byteworks.org/resume/samples/ltp.pdf>
>
>But i've been not able to run his examples
>in any gnu compiler for windows. :-((

Haven't seen that one. But in general my favourite writer's style is
that of Donald Alcock, in his "Illustrating ..." series. I had the good
fortune to work for him (as a summer job while at university - I learnt
more in that 2 months than in most of the rest of the 4 years :-)  That
was when he was a civil engineer more than he was an author - but even
then his writing style was unique and just plain fun.

Writing in the first person, informal style for a reference manual for a
stress analysis package was something of a breakthrough.  And his
insistence that hand-lettered text (almost calligraphy) was easier to
read than printed text, and made the info easier to understand, was not
something I was likely to learn in a university CS course.

So I would definitely recommend "Illustrating C".