Principles for User-Interface Design

Martin Baxter martin at materiaprima.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Jun 23 04:43:46 EDT 2005

Marielle Lange wrote:
> Let's not start some arguing. Simple question: how many of you swear at your
> computer. What platform are you using? If you happen to use different
> platforms, how often do you swear when using each one of them

Right, few things are more boring than platform wars. I can honestly say
that I swear at all my computers regularly, every day (24/7/365 - I take
a day off in leap years) I swear at them for different reasons, but I
detest them all equally.

Once upon a time I had one computer and we had a mutually-supportive
love affair and we were faithful to one another. But we grew old. Now I
have a computer for every day of the week and they are all cheating on
me behind my back. They are always dialling some server I know nothing
about (and talking dirty I suspect). Sometimes they won't let me in
without a password, and other times they just won't communicate with me
in any way at all. Computers are from Venus, Men are from the funny-farm.

Martin Baxter