compileIt for revolution?

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Wed Jun 22 21:22:54 EDT 2005

Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Derek Bump wrote:
>
>> If one who knows C and could figure out some sort of Transcript
>> wrapper, then it would be possible.  There are many freeware and
>> public domain compilers out there, but finding one that successfully
>> compiles DLLs for Revolution is seemingly difficult.  I've been
>> trying for a few months now, but with my limited knowledge of C I end
>> up running into errors.
>>
>> I am working on this project, but the *confusing* Externals SDK
>> doesn't help.
>

> What aspects have you found confusing?

This is only a start ....

-  Doesn't say which compilers should work (tells me some that won't -
but doesn't say which ones will - and in particular, doesn't say which
free ones will :-)

(It kind of implies that many of them will, maybe even most of them -
but a short list of a few that are expected to work would eliminate that
as a possible explanation for troubles run into)

-  Includes a number of examples which are fragments of C code, without
any comments describing the interface being provided, and without
showing the corresponding Transcript

- Include samples like XSetArray which is a function using the
"built-in" SetArray - but its parameters are never explained, and still
something of a mystery.

- It doesn't include a "tiny, simple" example; I'd like to see a very
simple example - e.g. return the string "hello program" - in a separate
directory. Not doing OS specific "GetComputerName", not calling QT, not
.... just a very, very simple example. With a correspondingly simple Rev
stack, and step-by-step instructions (not as detailed as I sent to this
list, but some kind of "here's the first thing to do" instructions).

- it intermingles things which are (apart from exceptional cases)
"fixed" with things which are your own, without distinguishing clearly -
e.g. "There are two header files you'll need to #include, XCmdGlue.h and
external.h. ..." But there is no "external.h" file included in the
distribution - it means the header file for your code, which will be
anything but "external.h"

In fact, the distribution includes article.c and article.h - what should
happen is that article.c should #include the article.h - but it doesn't,
it #includes external.h - which is non-existent, so you're guaranteed a
compile failure at step 1. Not likely to inspire confidence.

- it uses examples where the C functions are named with leading
underscores - when prepended underscores was described above as (one of
) the reason(s)  why the Borland compiler won't work

- it includes extra functions that aren't referenced or used (as far as
I can tell). e.g. XGetVar and XGetArray are in convolve_and_life.c - but
I can't find anywhere they're used.