Naming conventions [was: Food Fight]

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Jun 22 19:37:06 EDT 2005

Ken Ray wrote:
> On 6/22/05 11:40 AM, "Dennis Brown" <see3d at writeme.com> wrote:
>

>>Thanks for the many replies about naming conventions.  So to summarize:
>>
>>1.  The cryptic names are not really being pushed to make things
>>unreadable, but as protection from the deficiencies of Rev.
>>
>>(etc.)
>
> I guess you could say that... and keep in mind that these "deficiencies"
> didn't start with Rev - *all* xTalk languages (AFAIK) suffer these same
> defiencies.

Pretty much all languages that don't support namespaces are similarly
affected.

The notation many of us use is called "Hungarian-lite" because it
follows much more comprehensive guidelines extablished by Hunagarian
programming master Charles Simonyi between his tenures at PARC Place and
Microsoft.

Because we don't work for Simonyi, none of us is truly required to
follow Hungarian notation, "lite" or otherwise.

As with anything one might share as a tip that has helped them, if
"Hungarian-lite" appeals to you feel free to use it, and if not feel
free to ignore it.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation