Mac vs PC .csv files

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Wed Jun 22 12:16:21 EDT 2005

On 6/22/05 10:07 AM, "Dennis Brown" <see3d at writeme.com> wrote:

> Good day to everyone,
>
> I have been ask by a friend on a PC to send him some files in .csv
> format.  When I do, he complains that the returns are missing.  I
> guess I am still a bit unclear on this difference between platforms.
> As I understand it the Mac uses LF for a delimiter, and the PC uses
> CR.   When I end the lines with return, it does not end up as a CR in
> the output file.  Is there a simple way to specify an end to my lines
> that is compatible with all platforms for .csv files that are read by
> programs other than Rev?

Dennis, are you creating these .csv files from Rev? Or is this a general
question? If you're doing it from Rev, both Eric and Jon were pointing you
in the right direction.

If you're looking for more general-purpose application solution, many text
editors will allow you to pick the output file format (many times it's
buried, though). For example, in BBEdit, you do "Save As", then click the
Options button and there's a popup for "Line Breaks" with choices for
Macintosh, Unix, and DOS. I use TextPad on Windows, and they have a "File
Format" popup in the Save As dialog. Anyway, you get the idea...

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com