compileIt for revolution?

MisterX b.xavier at internet.lu
Wed Jun 22 11:29:02 EDT 2005

Derek,

Not to mean that i have all the answers (but i've tried to answer all the
questions in this respect before). I know C pretty well but i hate it any
time you have to debug anything like pointer increments or loookup tables.
Note that C compilers (not hte free ones) usually have great debugging tools
(no comparison to rev).

The translation to C is EASY! To C++, like Java or Javascript is a nightmare
however... Add pointers and you got HELL! It's kind of the same problem with
dot notation of object-oriented variables object.property->value or all it's
variations

If you managed it, it could work but would it be optimized? Most compilers
use repeated passes to compile to assembler and then again to machine
language (if that's still current for some compilers) but for a program to
create a more efficient code than a coder, you can forget it.

a program in C is NOT like a program in Rev and vice versa - except for a
few "data crunching" routimes.

I thought (still haven't stopped) of doing this in Python. It's doable. But
i have a vendeta with VBS and Active directory at work to get rid of first.
Then i can translate it easier to Python. With the right wrappers we should
then have any compiler (python, c, fortran, etc.).

But first write the translator translator - eh, language codec ;)
What's next, language drivers ? tttt. got those already! These are xtalk-c
or c-xtalk compatibility handlers - makes scripts darn easier to translate
in the first place - In the xtalk to C example, you just need to #include
axtalk.c library in your code. But this is still "vapor" as i hate the c
debugging.

cheers
Xavier