background groups issues

Marielle Lange M.Lange at ed.ac.uk
Wed Jun 22 07:23:24 EDT 2005

> An idea for your situation would be to copy the original
> stack, delete all cards but the one that has the correct
> layering, etc, then write a script that will make a new card
> for each in the original, getting and setting all the
> card-by-card items/fld data/radio settings/x,y,w,h...

No need to delete. You only need to make a group of your "common widgets",
create a template card on which you copy that group, then create would edit
each single card of  your stack: delete the "common group" if already exists on
a card and copy the "background" group on every card of the stack. Quick and
effective (the problem with the use as background property is that it does
transfer to new cards, but doesn't always transpose the changes made on the
last card on the previous cards -- at least when I use it)

My solution to this problem can be found at:
http://revolution.lexicall.org/user_contributions/changeStack.rev

Different little functions to change the background group of a stack over a set
of stacks and substacks, reposition that background automatically, rename
objects, replace the icon reference, etc. Essential when you build up
multimedia applications with large numbers of cards. (Written in a way that is
useful to me... but code that shouldn't be too difficult to understand).

Marielle