compileIt for revolution?

MisterX b.xavier at internet.lu
Wed Jun 22 00:31:36 EDT 2005

Dan,

Creating apps with rev has NOTHING to do with compileIt.

I really would like to speed up some scripts to manipulate
arrays (where rev has some serious limitations) and the best
possible way to do that would be to have something like
CompileIt.

I cannot create DLL to create externals in Rev can i? ;)

There's an apparent fan group of CompileIT who would pay
dearly to get this functionality back. And I'd rather shell
out credits to rev than to Moft or MW for a dll compiler for
externals.

Meanwhile, in the jungle, any rev app without this and
manipulating many lists or very long is definitely a dog
compared to any real-compiled application. Rev will never
compete in that "segment" compared to a real compiled app.
Although this is apparent, it is not when all of your
application runs smooth and fast, until the user enters
his real data.

Example: The HotKeyN2O stack stores all properties of all
controls in a card when the user opens the card. The props
are all in array form which cannot be stored into another
array (time based array of object changes). So for each
object i have to translate array[key]=data to <key>data</key>.

This in turn is stored into a time-based array. So if i need
to restore the property (any) for any object and at any time,
it's ultra easy - except that the translation process is so
slow after 10 controls trasnlated that it's USELESS if i dont
write that into a real-compiled external.

So CompileIt is needed - and very much so i would say - we
all have these uses for it where Rev just doesn't can't
perform fast enough.

cheers
Xavier