Installing MySQL On OSX

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Tue Jun 21 12:34:26 EDT 2005

On Jun 20, 2005, at 12:15 AM, Scott Kane wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently evaluating Rev and so far
> I am indeed impressed.  I come from
> a Delphi and C++ background so Rev is
> quite a clever solution per my eval'
> so far.
>
> I do have a question that I wondered if
> anybody using Rev might know the answer
> to - hopefully.  I'm investigating database
> options.  MySQL is a possible solution but
> my users would have kittens installing it. <g>
> Is there an installation tool available for OSX
> that would alleivate this issue - the one with
> MySQL is to complex...?
>
> Alternatively I'm looking at ODBC - but it's
> limiting because it seems users have to have
> MS Office installed to use drivers for the likes
> of Access, Paradox dBase etc.
>
> Any suggestions highly regarded.  And I must say
> the Rev community is excellent from what I've
> read lurking on this email list the last few days.

Hi, Scott. Welcome to the list. If your clients are after a server
based SQL server then MySQL is a good choice. There is a Mac OS X
friendly site with easy-to-follow instructions for installing MySQL
on OS X. Go to <http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/> and look for
the MySQL installer.

Others with more experience than I may recommend SQLite or
PostgresSQL, but my understanding is that these are single-user
solutions.

Regards,

Devin

Devin Asay