Internet time, ping site, update variable in Rev

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Sun Jun 19 16:44:42 EDT 2005

Jim Ault wrote:

>Has anyone dealt with the problem of cpu time settings
>and just told Rev to ping a 'time' site and set a variable to that result?
>I have a new Dell running  XP that loses 10 sec per hour.
>
>I would rather find one that did not take 8-10 seconds to give the result,
>but I can adjust if necessary.
>
>--each hour
>put (returnedTimeVal-pingTime) into correctTime

I'd recommend you get a copy of an SNTP client and just run that. Never
need to think about it again :-) and it also means that file creation /
write times etc. will be correct.

See overview and various options at
http://geodsoft.com/howto/timesync/wininstall.htm
I'd agree with his recommendation for
http://sourceforge.net/projects/nettime/

If the Dell machine spends much time disconnected from the Internet,
you'll want a full NTP client, rather than an SNTP one (full NTP
calculates the drift factor and continues to apply that even when it has
no connection). In fact, at 10 sec per hour, you may want an NTP client
anyway, so you don't need to query too often.  I haven't personally
tried the Meinberg solution linked from the first page given above, but
it looks worth trying out.

btw - recent Windows include a limited version of SNTP - but it's so
limited it won't help you. I think it's limited to checking once per
week - I've heard a rumour of a way to get around that, but a quick
search didn't turn anything up.