icons

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Fri Jun 17 11:52:29 EDT 2005

Hi Jon,

>>> Any hints as to how to make an Icon file that Rev is happy with?
>> you will need an icon editor :-)
> Wouldn't it be nice if the documentation actually said this,
> instead of making the vague statements it does?

sure.

>>> It won't take Windows icon files, and, as usual, the
>>> documentation  is pretty vague
>> Since it is the documentation for Revolution and not for creating
>> platform specific images/icons...
> Well, since it won't take platform specific icon files that work
> with other applications on the platform, I'd say it needs to say
> SOMETHING about what the customer is supposed to do here.

That's what this list is meant for...
To partly fill the gaps of the docs ;-)

>> There isn't even a slightest hint on how to create images in JPG
>> format :-p
>>> ("For a guide to creating yuour [sic] .ico format file use the
>>> examples in the Sample
>>> Icons folder of the Revolution distribution.", whatever "use"
>>> might  mean).
>> "use" means, since the icon format changed some time ago, you can
>> check how the
>> new icon format has to look like and USE one of the sample icons
>> as  examples in an icon editor.
> Then they need to talk about what specific icon editor, or
> features, are needed.
> I already HAVE an icon editor, and icons, and none of them work
> with Rev.

Maybe a look at one of these sample icons would have helped?

>> The new format is the XP icon format and consists of 9 different
>> (internal) icons actually.
> Was that ever stated in the documentation?

No, i actually found out all by myself.

C'mon Jon, show a bit of humor... :-)
I know the docs have some flaws, but they are not soooo bad!

Please allow me to qoute myself from my Revolution Scripting
Conference stack:

That's how I learned Metacard, no extensive docs like we have now in
Revolution,
no Rev Cookbook, no helpful "use-revolution" lists, nothing but a
knife, a compass
and a box of WET matches!

:-D

>> 48*48 pixel, 32 bit
>> 32*32 pixel, 32 bit
>> 16*16 pixel, 32 bit
>> 48*48 pixel, 8 bit
>> 32*32 pixel, 8 bit
>> 16*16 pixel, 8 bit
>> 48*48 pixel, 4 bit
>> 32*32 pixel, 4 bit
>> 16*16 pixel, 4 bit
>> I use Axialis IconWorkshop, the only Windows software i ever
>> needed  and bought :-)
>> http://www.axialis.com
>> Maybe you can find some freeware editors on the net...
> The following worked fine for me, although I have a sense that I
> will be getting some emails from them trying to sell me their
> products:
> http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/gmm/fwicontools.html

You BET! :-D

>>> :)
>>> Jon

Have a nice weekend.

Regards from germanski

Klaus Major
klaus at major-k.de
http://www.major-k.de

P.S.
Only my very good education (thanks, mom!) prohibits
further comments like:
I can't stand this whining about the docs anymore!
;-)