Scripts limits in stand alones

Eric Chatonet eric.chatonet at sosmartsoftware.com
Fri Jun 17 04:02:30 EDT 2005

Hi Richard,

First, congratulations on RevJournal :-)
It becomes again a key site for all Rev developers.
BTW as I was in touch with Alan Beatie, I suggested him to update the
RevJournal mention on the Runrev website (http://support.runrev.com/
resources/useful_sites.php)

Second, I am a kind man ;-)
I did not think of competing scripting products... made with Rev!
Tha'ts a good reason enough since there are many other ways to solve
the issue.
My approach was more ethical than pragmatic...

Best Regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.

Le 17 juin 05 à 09:48, Richard Gaskin a écrit :

> Eric Chatonet wrote:
>
>> Reminder from the docs:
>> When using a standalone application, an object's script property
>> may  not be set to a string containing more than ten statements.
>> This  limit is set by line 1 of the scriptLimits function. (This
>> does not  limit scripts that are already written: standalone
>> applications can  run scripts of any length. However, if the
>> standalone attempts to  change an object's script property, and
>> the script contains more than  the allowable number of statements,
>> the attempt to set the script  causes an error.)
>> I consider that, even there are many possible workarounds, this
>> "feature" stays rather unacceptable:
>> Does an enterprise licence ($900) has to work as a DreamCard
>> evaluation version?
>>

> The scriptLimits property was put in by Scott Raney long before
> RunRev acquired it. It was added to prevent the ease with which
> someone could create a competing scripting product (I've seen this
> before with other xTalks).
>
> It may seem onerous at first, but as was the case with the poster
> who started this thread it's truly very rare that there is a need
> for self-modifying Transcript.  Used well, the message path usually
> provides a more efficient form of what's desired.
>
> In the rare cases when there may some benefit from self-modifying
> code, it often turns out that the more traditional "genetic
> algorithm" approach of abstractifying behaviors through data often
> serves that small subset well.
>
> And in the rarer case where one truly needs to use self-modifying
> Transcript, my understanding is that Kevin's willing to review
> things on a case-by-case basis to see what can be done.

So Smart Software

Phone        33 (0)1 43 31 77 62
Mobile        33 (0)6 20 74 50 86