Applescript - do script not working in 2.5.1 and standalones?

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 15 12:47:59 EDT 2005

> I need the ability to tell Rev to start doing something, from outside the
> Rev environment. (Mac X 10.3.5).

All I know at the moment is that

2.2.1/OSX 10.3.8     does what you are wishing for
2.5/OSX 10.3.9    only sends and has no dictionary in Script Editor
2.5.1/OSX 10.3.9    only sends and has a dictionary entry that works but
does not hear anything when trying to compile "tell app "Revolution"

Idea to try... Don't know how this will work in practice, but I can run Rev
2.2.1 at the same time as Rev 2.5.1 AND
scripts compile and run nicely using (tell app "Revoulution 2.2.1")

Thus it could be that you could put the 'receiving' scripts in a stack
opened in 2.2.1, write a text file to a specific folder, then have 2.5.1
watch the folder "if there is a file doCmd.txt then  read it, delete it, use
the contents"

Now 2.2.1 would write the file (with append to stage multiple cmds) when
appropriate, and 2.5.1 would read and discard (or, even better, comment out
and update the file so you could see what 2.5.1 actually did, kinda like a
log file).  This could be a file both apps modify as a communication 'point'

Don't forget to "try on error" in  a loop in case the file is 'busy' for a
moment.

A bit of a work around and I am not sure of how the environment will
function (Standalone, IDE, plugins, databases, etc.)

If you find the answer, let me know.  This would help me as I go down the
road.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas