A reason for threading errors in Mail.app

James Richards jamesjrichards at lineone.net
Wed Jun 15 05:59:16 EDT 2005

This is rather a late contribution to this discussion, but my brain has
been working slowly.

Firstly, those who receive the digest (as I do) and then join in the
discussion must completely 'throw' any kind of threading based on
fingerprinting.  The most accurate threading for this list would
normally be on the basis of subject line (thrown occasionally by the
odd failure to edit the subject line).

Secondly, I had always previously understood the instruction about
starting new topics to mean that I should no start an interesting
discussion about global variables under a subject line referring to
mail threading, but should change the subject line to match the
discussion.  I can't be the only person who uses the 'Reply' command to
get a new message all set up and then edits the subject line to reflect
the topic.  Indeed I do this all the time since any attempt to reply to
the digest (even on an existing topic) always produces a 'Re:
use-revolution Digest, Vol ##, Issue ##' subject.

It seems to me that the standard is not well adapted to a mailing list
of this kind.

Regards

James
--