Volume Disconnect

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Wed Jun 15 03:36:05 EDT 2005

platform: OSX....

This is an old problem, even from way back to SuperCard days...

I do a lot of work on the LAN where source docs are on our OSX
Server. As well as internal RAD in house production apps use by
others on the LAN. Let's say I run a button script that accesses a
mounted volume on the server named "Varuna" (Lord of the Waters)

set the defaultFolder to "/Volumes/Varuna/DigitalPhotos/thomas_kelly/
05_sri_lanka_documentary/"
put the files into "photoList"

Then, run any number of processes on those file, preview images,
delete files etc. , close the stack (defaulted to destroy on close)
now select mounted volume "Varuna" on the desktop and try to eject or
unmount... the old nuisance msg appears:

"Varuna is in use and could not be ejected. Try quitting applications
and try again."

So, quit Revolution, then eject... dismount, no problem.

Now I know this is not Rev specific because there are other
applications, which, having once accessed the server for any I/O will
hold it hostage, whether any documents for that app are open or not.
I'm just wondering if Rev had a way to "cut the cord" with some cmd?
Note, I might not want to actually dismount just yet... but one would
want that "on closeStack" we could issue something that would at
least make sure that Rev was not the app "chained" to the mounted
volume.

TIA

Sivakatirswami
Himalayan Academy Publications