Piracy

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Jun 13 19:16:52 EDT 2005

Chipp Walters wrote:
> If someone wants to steal your software, they will. But making it
> 'harder' on paying customers, IMO, is not good business. Just my 2 cents.

Agreed wholeheartedly.

While it's essential to provide at least a level of effort that prevents
temptation of otherwise-paying customers, those who will not pay will
never pay.

The level of effort used by the major software vendors (relatively
simple reg scheme, sometimes with phone-home) is probably adequate for
most products; beyond that, investing in security starts moving toward
negative returns quickly.

It's usually far more profitable to put that time into feature
development and marketing, rather than letting a group of malcontent
Russian teenagers steer your companies priorities. :)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation