Piracy

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Mon Jun 13 13:20:49 EDT 2005

Dan....

(Great name)

I think the most convenient and accepted manner is to require users
to register the product, issue a serial number, and then store that
serial number someplace where your program can locate it but it isn't
part of the program itself or necessarily obvious for the user to
copy if they try to share the program illegally.

Your program on launch would check for that file and perhaps validate
it against an algorithm. If it doesn't find the file or the serial
number is invalid for some reason, then you ask the user to register
the program.

I know there are some schemes for generating serial numbers that
drive algorithmically off the user's name or email address. Those are
a bit more secure, probably, but they might be unnecessarily cumbersome.

Andre is of course ultimately correct; there is no foolproof way to
prevent piracy. The best you can hope for is to make it sufficiently
difficult or inconvenient when compared to the price of your product
that potential pirates just don't see it being worth it to rip you off.