Globals and namespaces for Rev.

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sun Jun 12 16:04:52 EDT 2005

On 6/12/05 9:38 PM, "Robert Brenstein" <rjb at robelko.com> wrote:

Hi Robert,

I have decide cc to list this.

>> Yes I have see that point. Still on OO way, each stack must have own
>> namespace. My global var should not conflict to other stack.
>>
>> And this is possible to do.
>>
>>     stack1::var1
>>     stack2::var2
>>
>> You have the same full control on your project, but you just forget about
>> headache. Revolution CAN add this. And if I'd use Rev I have ask this each
>> day on their list :-)
>
> But actually, globals are used primarily to pass values between
> different stacks. Your suggestion goes contrary to that.

NO. where you see contrary ?!

Namespace DO NOT prevent you read/write that variable,
Just IF you know that var1 is in the stack1 namespace you need write

    stack1::var1

What problems?
I do not see any problems.

But now you get safe if TEAM developer several Rev stacks.
You are 100% safe that developers will not conflict.
Just NEVER. Just with ZERO efforts.

As for me, this feature can be EASY and logically be added into Rev
language.

> Within a stack, you can use custom properties of the stack in lieu of
> globals. Any object within stack can have their own custom
> properties, which are like persistent variables attached to an
> object. By choosing an option, you scope them so to speak. Custom
> properties are really also global since any stack can get them
> remotely but their names are scoped to the object they are in. And
> they can simple variables or arrays (normally referred to as custom
> property sets).
>
> In case of your examples, it is also possible to place all work
> handlers in the card script and use script-local variables (see
> "local" keyword), which are static variables but scoped to that
> script object only.

Robert, it seems you think that NameSpace add scope.
And you cannot access vars in the scope.

Again no. Namespace DO NOT add scope.
This is where its beauty.

--
Best regards,