reading from a file

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Sun Jun 12 14:32:34 EDT 2005

John Ridge wrote:

>on 12/6/05 1:21 pm,  Alex Tweedly wrote :
>

>***************************
>Thanks, Alex - of course it's "the result" that I want - but I still like my
>syntax! What language am I half-remembering?

I liked your syntax too - though it did require a certain amount of
clairvoyance or mind-reading to determine which file you wanted the
"eof" test to apply to :-)
It certainly feels familiar - but can't remember which it's most likely
to be. Some Pascal variant, maybe ?

>I've tried another method that I thought might be faster - instead of
>reading a chunk at a time and popping it into a field on a new card, why not
>gulp the whole file into a variable, then get each item as a chunk?
>
>In fact it's slower. Ah well...

That is kind of surprising.
If it's convenient, could you send the two sets of code so I can see
what the differences are, please ?