Beachball of death

Timothy Miller gandalf at doctorTimothyMiller.com
Sun Jun 12 14:24:25 EDT 2005

Many thanks to all on this thread.

After suppressing messages, I opened the stacks in question and
combed through their stack and bg scripts, commenting out all
non-essential handlers. I would have done this sooner, except the
symptoms seemed to suggest a corrupted stack or corrupted application.

After saving, restarting Rev, and non-suppressing messages, these
stacks seemed fine. The essential features still work. I guess I'll
just comment the handlers back in, very carefully, one at a time,
while carefully reviewing each one for possible small errors. The
problems will make themselves known as I go along, most likely.

These are HC --> Rev stacks. I suspect a few handlers left over from
HC contained some minor errors, which HC ignored. They didn't
necessarily cause error messages in Rev, either, so I didn't know
they were there. These, in combination with a few new errors, also
minor, apparently made Rev go insane. In HC, the same errors would
have generated easy-to-understand error messages, at worst.

I guess the rules of the game have changed. I'm certainly going to be
more cautious than I used to be when writing new handlers.

Maybe I'm wrong, though I never once made HC go insane with
conventional handlers doing conventional things. The occasional
infinite repeat loop was easily interrupted with command-period. If
I'm wrong, please correct me.

If someone can explain how conventional handlers doing conventional
things can make Rev go insane, and what precautions to employ in the
future -- other than the obvious ones, please speak up. Being a
perpetual scripting novice, I wrote my crude HC scripts by trial and
error. They either worked or didn't or generated simple error
messages. I'm going to have to change my ways, I suppose.

Cheers,

Tim