Beachball of death

Timothy Miller gandalf at doctortimothyMiller.com
Sat Jun 11 22:11:26 EDT 2005

I refer to Macintosh OS X. When that rainbow colored beachball spins
and spins and you can't stop it with the usual methods
(command-period, clear pending messages, etc.), you're probably going
to have to force-quit.

I have a wonderful Rev consultant who helps me with stuff like this,
but he/she won't be available for a couple of days, I'm leaving on
vacation tomorrow, and I'm worried, gravely inconvenienced and
somewhat financially impoverished because of this problem. Actually,
I can't afford the vacation because of it! So I thought I'd try to
get a clue from you-all, first -- maybe I'll worry less on vacation.
Maybe more...

I have one stack that has spawned the Satanic Beachball on rare
occasions. Today, it started doing it more often, until it became
unusable. If there is a pattern to it, I can't find it. Sometimes
inserting the cursor in a field will do it. Sometimes just moving to
another page in the same background, or just bringing that stack
window to the front. Sometimes the error message window seems to open
around the same time, sometimes not.

Lately, things got worse. Like I open the stack, I get empty error
messages, or an unresponsive error window, I can't edit the stack
script, or background script, or I can edit it, but then I can't save
and close the script. I try to edit one script, but then another
script pops open instead. I tried to trace the bg script, and it
actually froze the debugger! When The Beachball spins, I can move to
the finder, use other applications, and so on, but Rev is either
unresponsive, or responds erratically. Sometimes there's an
unresponsive "do you want to save your changes?" dialog box. At other
time the glowing red "close" button is unresponsive, though I can
always minimize with the yellow button, or bring the window back from
the dock. At times I somehow manage to close all the stacks, by
clicking around somewhat randomly, but Rev still won't quit. Rev
continues to use about 30% of the CPU's capacity at these times.

If I suppress messages before I open the same stack, the stack seems
to work the way I'd expect to work if messages are suppressed. No
apparent problems.

Does this sound like a well-known syndrome? Corrupted stack?
Reinstall Rev? Serious script error? Rev bug? (DiskWarrior says the
hard disk is fine.) I'm on 2.5.1 for OS 10.3.9. A G4 machine with
more than enough physical RAM. The machine is quite stable in every
other respect.

If it's a corrupted stack, is there a utility stack that reconstructs
corrupted stacks? Where do I find it?

Thanks in advance,

Tim