[V4REV] How correctly prepare stack for cross-platform use ?

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Sat Jun 11 15:56:02 EDT 2005

Hi Ruslan,

> Hi Revolutioners!
>
> Well, we are almost done with first build of Valentina for Revolution,
> And I have meet next problem.
>
> Ivan have prepare about 50 examples working on Windows.
> So each example show in the window "Stack Properties" some win dll
> path.
>
> It is easy to see that such stack do not work on MAC from box.
> When I set external to our V4REV_Macho, this NOT add second line
> into list
> of externals but erase info about Windows dll.

use the message box oir aprepare a button with this script:

set the externals of stack xyz to "MacExternal.bundle" & CR &
"Windowsexternal.dll"

So you have both exteranls set :-)

> So I wonder:
>
> 1) if is possible to prepare stack which from box will work on
> MacOS and
> Windows? I.e. It should know about 2 externals, one for each platform.
>
> Or it is normal for Revolution world, that developer must self tune
> each
> stack before use it ???  I hard believe into this.
>

> 2) taking into account that I have now on hands 50 example stacks,
> It not
> smile to me manually set external for each of them. So may be
> exists way
>
> A) automate this job ?
>
> B) may be it is possible that stack itself on load and start set
> correct
> external according to current platform? But again I will need
> include this
> code into each stack ... May be exists way to put this code into
> some shared
> single stack ?

Exactly, you can do by "start using xyz"

A good idea is to use an (empty) substack "xyz", so you simply use
something like:

on openstack
    set the externals of stack "xyz" to "MacExternal.bundle" & CR &
"WindowsExternal.dll"
    start using stack "xyz"
end openstack

This way, every open stack can use the external.

Hope that helps

> Best regards,
>
> Ruslan Zasukhin
> VP Engineering and New Technology