Dreamcard, am I missing something?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Jun 11 01:57:04 EDT 2005

Dan Shafer wrote:
 > On Jun 10, 2005, at 9:57 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >> If I understood the complaint correctly the problem is that even if
 >> you launch the player by double-clicking a document, the player
 >> doesn't recognize how it was launched and presents a GetFile dialog
 >> anyway.
 >>
 > That may well be the case, but not on the system I was able to
 > test on.

I didn't get the GetFile dialog either, but I did find some strangeness:

I have a PC here with a freshly-formatted disk (is that a redundancy?
<g>), and no Rev or MC installation has yet touched it.  Totally virgin.

I went to RunRev.com and downloaded the player, installed it.  So far so
good, except that when it was done I had the "Launch Application"
checkbox set yet it didn't launch the application.

So I went to Start->All Programs->Revolution DreamCard Player to launch
it. It launched okay.  Having confirmed the installation was good, I quit.

I copied a simple one-card stack I use for testing onto the PC and
double-clicked it.  Although the file's extension is ".rev", instead of
launching the Rev player I got a Win dialog letting me know that it
doesn't know what the heck the file is and how do I want to deal with
finding a program for it.  Curious.

I chose the option to select from a list of programs, but the Rev player
wasn't listed among them.

I found I was able to drop the test stack file onto the Player app to
launch it, and that worked okay (though we can't expect any normal Win
user to ever do such a thing).

But I also found (as Andre has complained) that I can also drop ANY file
onto the player and it will accept the drop.

Something's definitely not right with the registry settings the
installer uses.  I don't have the time right now to poke around in
RegEdit, but hopefully RunRev will and fix the installer.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation