A reason for threading errors in Mail.app

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Thu Jun 9 17:03:57 EDT 2005

Dennis Brown wrote:

> Dan and Mac Mail.app users and anyone who replies to messages,
>
> I have noticed that Mail.app seems to put seemingly unrelated threads
> into an existing thread at times.  I think I see a possible
> explanation for this.  In addition to the usual method of looking at
> the subject text, I think mail.app also fingerprints messages
> somehow, so it knows when a reply is to that message --even if the
> subject line is altered.  So if somebody starts a new thread by
> replying to a thread I started or replied to, just to get the header
> info, then replaces the body and subject lines to a new topic, my
> Mail.app assumes it is still related to the original message.  I just
> tested out this theory by replying to a thread I started, but I
> changed everything about the message except the To: line.  Sure
> enough the message came back threaded to the unrelated message I
> started it from.

That seems likely - though it's not particularly the mail.app - it's
been part of the mail standard for 20+ years.

The headers for the mail I'm replying to included the following lines:

and these are used (probably along with others) to decide what's a
thread and what isn't.
(See rfc 822 published in 1982 !!)

> A case of too smart for its own good!

A case of doing exactly what the standard says it should do.