Call vs Send

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Wed Jun 8 16:33:31 EDT 2005

On Jun 8, 2005, at 1:54 PM, Dennis Brown wrote:

> I have two versions of a script.  The first uses an implicit send and
> works.  The second uses a call and does not work.  I was trying to
> simplify and expand my scripting abilities with call, but I must be
> missing something, because I can't see what is wrong with it.  I
> appreciate any insights.

There are some differences between the 1) "implicit send" or invocation
and 2) send & call.  There are also differences between send and call.

They might not apply to this particular case, but they might to some
things you might try.

The 'me' refers to the object that holds the script.  An alternative
you can use is 'the target' which is the name of the object that the
original (top level) message was sent to.  That is changed on a send or
call.

A send or call can have parameters.

In your case you might be able to use 'the target' unless it runs into
ambiguity problems.

You might be better off passing 'the id of me' and letting the support
function get what it needs from that.  Like this:

    saveMeTxt the long id of me

Unfortunately, 'the target' is suitable in only well controlled cases.
It might not uniquely identify the target.

(There is also an unsupported way.)

dar