Call vs Send

Dennis Brown see3d at writeme.com
Wed Jun 8 15:54:55 EDT 2005

I have two versions of a script.  The first uses an implicit send and
works.  The second uses a call and does not work.  I was trying to
simplify and expand my scripting abilities with call, but I must be
missing something, because I can't see what is wrong with it.  I
appreciate any insights.

Dennis

Working script of field "PN1":

on mouseUp
   SaveMeTxt (token 1 to 5 of the long name of me)&quote --this form
is used because the name is reused in different groups
end mouseUp

Script in the card:

global SetName,PN1

on SaveMeTxt myName --save the fld text
   do "set the data"&SetName&" of "&myName&" to "&myName --save fld
contents
   do "put "&myName&" into "&the short name of myName --fill shadow
global
end SaveMeTxt

Nonworking script in field "PN1":

on mouseUp
   call SaveMeTxt
end mouseUp

Script in the card:

global SetName,PN1

on SaveMeTxt  --save the fld text
   do "set the data"&SetName&" of me to me" --save fld contents
   do "put me into "&the short name of me --fill shadow global
end SaveMeTxt

Error message:

          executing at 3:20:59 PM
Type    Chunk: destination is not a container
Object    card id 1002
Line    do "set the data"&SetName&" of me to me" --save fld contents
Hint    put me into card id 1002