Economics & Eye Candy

Gordon Webster gwalias-rev at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 7 16:10:07 EDT 2005

Mr X has really hit the nail squarely on the head.

I often open the rev IDE, wistfully hoping perhaps
that somehow it could now magically do what I need it
to do. Then I realize it can't and drift away to other
development platforms with a sense of regret at what
could have been.

Now rev 2.6 is out and there are more fancy GUI
features than ever (deep masks etc.) but still no real
arrays, still no bridge to the vast world of shared
libraries that would allow me to integrate external
functionality into rev and save me having to either
reinvent the wheel or spend my time writing C wrappers
(for comparison, look at the Python 'ctypes' module or
the 'usedll' type of features that abound in the many
versions of Basic). Sigh!

Even my licence has expired and I just can't imagine
stumping up another $200.00 to have 'deep masks', but
still not the features I really need.

Transcript has the potential to be so much more than
just a cool GUI designer.

Gordon