platform stuff.

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Tue Jun 7 13:35:19 EDT 2005

On Jun 7, 2005, at 2:19 PM, MisterX wrote:

> The effort required has already been wasted as far as i can tell. Even
> Chipp
> could have .com objects in your stacks before rev does. Next, he will
> have
> .net objects... Im porting TAOO to VBS and we'll see where that takes
> me...
> I need advancedDirectory management and other than using MS's limited
> gui's,
> i can script it via Rev to control VBS. The only way to do that is to
> write
> your own interpreter right?
>
> NOT.
>
> Forget xcode, forget bytecode.
> Enter TAOO...
>
> Same GUI, same code anywhere.
> Runs best on RunRev naturally ;)
>
> ciao
> Xavier

Xavier,

Funny, I am going on the exact oposite direction, I am porting
everything to Rev so that I can have my own built for my taste working
enviroment. I am porting a little contact app, an email app, a rich
text app, a HTML generator, a Photo organizer, a MP3 Player... In the
end I hope to have a environment that suits me, that needs nothing, one
that I could use cross platforms and fell at home, the same way I felt
with REBOL/Desktop back in 2000.

If I had Tiger and Rev 2.6 the world would even be better for I could
do some eye candy to make my UI more elegant. They key is, let miniapps
do the work they are good at, since all those miniapps are running
inside the same engine instance they all can share data. Heck, in the
Mac I can even use AppleEvents and Send to Program if I want apps in
different engine instances to comunitcate, or I can go crazy playing
again with sockets (it's plain obvious that my system builds arround
RevHTTPd, old server learns new tricks)

The cool thing about Rev is this organic possibility that I can simply
grow a fully working enviroment while I am working, like, heck, this
needs to play mp3 also, so script a little stack to do it, tie it with
the little clock you also built and boom, you have a mp3 alarm clock,
tie that with contact app and organizer app and you have a nice agenda.
They say a voyage begin with the first step, that a phrase begins with
a word. My enviroment begins with on Startup, and that suits me ;-) no
need for anything.

Cheers
andre

--