RUNREV 2.6 DOESN'T WORK

MisterX b.xavier at internet.lu
Tue Jun 7 11:47:04 EDT 2005

Damien

I agree with you that Rev is very "Mac" only quality oriented and
the other platforms' appearance manager (out of macs) is just useless.

There's GTK and there's gnome. I've run Metacard on suse 9 with both
installed and dont remember having problems. I may ditch Windows any
day and join you in the rant but generally Rev works... If not, make
a critical or blocker bug - it MAY get some attention... ;)

Im sure someone in RunRev will come to the rescue ;) They are good people
and now should be sober from the release celebration and jubilation.

There's new features and many fixes in every runrev release and
contrary to many unix products they usually fare quite well on Mac
and a bit less on PCs. I stopped unix because of their lousy look and
feel but it doesn't mean they dont work...

I think there's more international clients like you and me that would
like to see "correct" international and diacritical text handling (not
to mention justification, leading and kerning or even a simple field
rotation feature. But who knows where RunRev picks their priorities.

It sure dont come from the Unix or Windows professional needs that many
windows and clients need compared to a 10% PC/developpers' population eager
for eye candy. But RunRev is a multimedia tool with excellent text list or
database or anything manipulation tool.

Meanwhile, rev is still the best i know on windows "that resembles HyperCard
and MacOS or my own OS in my own hands." I make my own appearances (without
the "closed" appearance feature that completely missed the "theme" bandwagon
10 years ago...). That's lame imoho. Rev prefers building mac only features
instead of fixing their cross platform problems (so many i wont mention them
- Kevin should working strictly on a PC to feel how hostile it can be...

I would gladly enjoy COM objects in rev applications more than MacOS eye
candy... Wouldn't that be a more business empowering feature? I wonder where
they pull their resources for such trivial non-practical features... But
hey, i could go on for hours! C'est la vie...

But Rev, MC works and rocks!!! A bit less than other tools but without the
development overhead and practically none of the limits (cough cough)...

cheers
Xavier ;)
http://monsieurx.com - Objects on the rocks, shaken not stirred