Moving a Custom Shaped window memory leak

Alex Shaw alex at harryscollar.com
Tue Jun 7 07:37:00 EDT 2005

 > From: Thomas McGrath III <3mcgrath at adelphia.net>
 > Subject: Re: Moving a Custom Shaped window
 >
 > on mouseDown
 >    put the loc of this stack into initrec
 >    put the mouseloc into mymouseloc
 >    repeat while the mouse is down
 >      add (the mouseH - item 1 of mymouseloc) to item 1 of initrec
 >      add (the mouseV - item 2 of mymouseloc) to item 2 of initrec
 >      if initrec = oldrec then
 >        next repeat
 >      end if
 >      set the loc of this stack to initrec
 >      put initrec into oldrec
 >    end repeat
 > end mouseDown

nice script thomas..

but i just installed rev2.6 on a windows 2000 machine & after loading up
2.6 (& mucking round with some old scripts, btw good work runrev) i
noticed & decided to try your script.

1st i created a new stack & placed a push button in the middle
2nd i imported a simple png i quickly knocked up in photoshop, the image
  was basically a black smudge, solid black in the middle with fat
translucent edges to show off the new 8bit windowshape capabilites. I
noted it's ID then hid it. The stack windowshape was then set to the
imported pngs ID & presto... a nice black transulent-edged blob-shaped
window! ..with a button in the middle which allowed me to move the blob
around! cool! i like it! the possibilities! i started moving my blob to
various places on the desktop, hiding desktops icons etc.. but then a
virtual memory error system dialog popped up :(

i loaded the same stack into rev2.5.1 and things were ugly but on the
memory side - ok

anyway to cut a long story short, the good old windows task manager told
me that while the alwaysBuffer property of the stack was true i was
losing memory at a silly rate every time i moved my blob shaped window
around. alwaysBuffer as false was ok...

i haven't had time to test this on osx (still on 10.3.9) or linux yet

can someone confirm this on osx?

btw whats a good realtime "windows task manager" for osx?

regards
alex