Uh-oh.... Anybody following WWDC?

Jesse Sng jsng at wayoflife.org
Mon Jun 6 22:26:47 EDT 2005

>I don't think you are understanding what Rosetta is.  It reads the
>binary of one machine and "Compiles it on the fly into the binary of
>a new machine".  The result is the the new machine is not
>interpreting the other machines instruction set, but conceptually
>recompiling at the binary level and executing at machine code speed.
>This method introduces very little overhead.  You should see 80-90%
>of native speed.  I can live with that.  A good virtual machine
>might give you 10% of native speed.  That is why I keep telling you
>that this is revolutionary and will change the nature of cross
>platform development.  But for now Apple seems content to just use
>it to make their transition seamless for the users and developers.

This is the same as the dynamic compiling 68K emulator that Apple
switched to on all their PowerPC Macs. It is still there after more
than 10 years and is running fine as I have apps dating back to 1990
that work under Classic.

But that's the whole point - it is totally transparent and seamless.

Jesse