who's out there?

Dennis Brown see3d at writeme.com
Mon Jun 6 21:36:43 EDT 2005

The business model that I would like to see is REALbasic.  Started as
cheap shareware ($25 I think).  Everybody bought a copy whether they
needed one or not (I did).  New releases came out about twice a week
--new features and bug fixes.  Few complained, because they could see
active work on the problems they encountered.  One guy wrote
everything.  Eventually it went commercial, but still at a low price
($50 I think).  It became so popular that the resources were found to
make it cross compatible to Windows.  The installed base is huge, and
many developers are making money with just add-ons.  Visual Basic
developers started to migrate.  The little guy wins.   However, I
don't like the language at all.

This is what I am hoping for DreamCard.  The price is right, but with
few releases, the IDE/ docs must be helpful to the beginner,
otherwise the support toll is too high --or they never get over the
initial hump and abandon it.  REV is extremely powerful if you know
hoe to use it, but can be frustrating for doing simple things if you
don't.  THe way I started is I just learned how to do the most basic
operations (kind of like a high level machine code) and started
making things go.  However, there are a few basic concepts that
appeared to be missing (like indirect references of variables) --
discovered the do command to make them work.  This is a good example
of where the IDE could have made it invisible with a better syntax.
Arrays are very powerful, but not explained well.  The bi-monthly
tutorials are a godsend in my opinion for teaching the fundamentals --
good job and kudos to all the instructors!!!  The challenge for
RunRev is to take all this good stuff and package it an such a way to
make it work for the beginner --along with a few improvements to the
IDE.

Dennis