dump newbie image questiosn

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Mon Jun 6 16:06:27 EDT 2005

Jon-

Monday, June 6, 2005, 12:32:55 PM, you wrote:

JJJ>> I don't think it is all that hard: we create DLLs and use them all
J> of the time.  I'm not sure where your concerns arise from, but they are
J> not realistic, in my experience.

That's because you didn't read what I wrote. Borland doesn't offer the
granularity of linker options necessary to create DLLs in the proper
format in C++ Builder. Maybe they do in Delphi, but nothing you've
posted says so. Or am I to take "in my experience" as meaning that
you've already compiled external DLLs in Delphi that work with runrev?

JJJ>> the whole point of having a native code generator is so that one
J> NEVER has to write a DLL: just write Rev code and then have it compiled
J> by the IDE.  Having external libraries in a cross-platform development
J> environment is like having weights tied to a racing horse's foot.  It
J> goes against the whole point of cross-platform development in a single
J> simple language.  If you want to do it, fine, but if we have to go
J> there, I guess I'll just look for some cross-platform image library and
J> use that.

And that's just silly. Compiling to native code means limiting
yourself to a single platform no matter whether it's done in an IDE or
by spawning a task to an external library. It's no different in java -
JNI works the same way.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net