Uh-oh.... Anybody following WWDC?

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Mon Jun 6 15:34:34 EDT 2005

Forgive the double posting, but I sent my previous message before I
noticed this thread. Disregard the 'Apple to Intel--It's true' thread.
---------------#################------------

I was in the room when Steve made the announcement, and you could
feel the air go out of the room as 3500 developers caught their
breath at once. Even after all the rumo(u)rs it was clear that a lot
of people were taken by surprise. It's also clear that Apple has put
a great deal of thought, work and planning into this transition. As
Steve pointed out, Apple knows how to do transitions. The mood warmed
up considerably as he demonstrated using OS X on an Intel box,
brought of Wolfram research to talk about how they ported Mathematica
in just a couple of days, gave every attendee a copy of XCode 2.1,
pointed out that developers won't have to maintain two code bases and
two compiles, demoed Rosetta, which allows non-Universal code to run
with binary translation. I think the mood here at WWDC mirrors the
reactions we are seeing on this list: surprise, uncertainty,
curiosity, some happiness, some dismay.

Will it affect Apple's user base? Who knows. Mac users are intensely
loyal, and the transition will be transparent to the end user. If the
developer community stays on board, Apple should make the transition
okay.

The bottom line is if you abandon Mac OS X your choice is ... what?
Switch to Windows? LInux?

I'm not planning to do either.

I'll be interesting in hearing reactions from developers this week.

Devin

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University