dump newbie image questiosn

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Jun 6 12:39:30 EDT 2005

On 6/6/05 1:09 AM, Nicolas Cueto wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Sorry to barge in what seems like a private conversation
> between Jon and Jacqueline about lockLoc and image
> resizing but it's reminding me of a similar "problem" I had
> with one of my image-based stacks a long time back.

If it is on the list, it isn't a private conversation. :) You are
welcome to join.

> Once upon a time, while my young EFL learners and I were
> happily studying the English names of shapes using a
> concentration game stack, I was very surprised to hear
> the word "rectangle" emitting from the PC speakers when
> the image on-screen was very much a "square".
>
> Looking for the source of this mistake later on, I discovered
> that the culprit was the lockLoc setting of each image object,
> Though the original image had indeed been a "rectangle",
> the lockLoc of the image object forced the "rectangle" to fill
> in the entire image object -- or, as Jon wrote, it scaled in both
> directions.
>
> My solution then was to create a new rectangle image
> file, with lots of white space at the top and bottom of
> the rectangle.
>
> But something Jacqueline wrote to Jon is making
> me think that maybe there's another (easier!) way,
> i.e.:
>

>>Well, generally we calculate the dimensions before we set the image
>>size. ;) Then it works okay.
>

> "Calculate the dimensions"? Can someone explain how to do this
> with RunRev? (Or is Jacqueline just joking? ;) )

No, I wasn't joking. I'm not even sure I understand the problem because
I've never seen it. I always scale images by calculating the desired
dimensions and setting the image to that size. For example, if I want an
image to display at 1/3 its natural size, I do this:

set the width of img 1 to round((the formattedwidth of img 1) * .3)
set the height of img 1 to round((the formattedheight of img 1) * .3)

This works whether the lockloc of the image is true or false. However, I
  leave it set to true because otherwise it will reset back to normal
size if I leave the card.

I see no distortion when I do this. Technically, you don't even need to
use the "round" function because the engine will adjust to the nearest
pixel automatically.