dump newbie image questiosn

Nicolas Cueto nicolas_cueto at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 6 02:09:35 EDT 2005

Hello.

Sorry to barge in what seems like a private conversation
between Jon and Jacqueline about lockLoc and image
resizing but it's reminding me of a similar "problem" I had
with one of my image-based stacks a long time back.

Once upon a time, while my young EFL learners and I were
happily studying the English names of shapes using a
concentration game stack, I was very surprised to hear
the word "rectangle" emitting from the PC speakers when
the image on-screen was very much a "square".

Looking for the source of this mistake later on, I discovered
that the culprit was the lockLoc setting of each image object,
Though the original image had indeed been a "rectangle",
the lockLoc of the image object forced the "rectangle" to fill
in the entire image object -- or, as Jon wrote, it scaled in both
directions.

My solution then was to create a new rectangle image
file, with lots of white space at the top and bottom of
the rectangle.

But something Jacqueline wrote to Jon is making
me think that maybe there's another (easier!) way,
i.e.:

> Well, generally we calculate the dimensions before we set the image
> size. ;) Then it works okay.

"Calculate the dimensions"? Can someone explain how to do this
with RunRev? (Or is Jacqueline just joking? ;) )

Cause I have to agree with Jon that, at least sometimes,
the image object's lockLoc property does cause an ugly
distortion of an original image file's size.

So, if there's a way around this "ugliness" ...

Thanks.

Cheers,
Nicolas Cueto
niconiko language school