[OPINION] Re: Windows Absolute Control

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Sat Jun 4 20:50:17 EDT 2005

Extreme, I confess, but a programmer working on a project I'm
supervising just lost three days of work because he had exceeded the
number of activations Microsoft allowed him on his WinXP Pro license.
I think the number was 32. But he'd had to reinstall due to hard
crashes, a couple of disk drive swaps....and I think he was running
multiple instances of the OS on a couple of partitions out of paranoia.

But as Chipp has pointed out recently, Apple's OS upgrades frequently
involve what I like to call "catastrophic improvements" in the
software that makes life hard. Bottom line: this stuff isn't easy and
it should be.

Dan Shafer, Co-Chair
RevConWest '05
June 17-18, 2005, Monterey, California