bug

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Sat Jun 4 17:54:45 EDT 2005

J. Landman Gay wrote:

> On 6/4/05 1:12 PM, Jon wrote:
>
>> I've given up on saving scripts, and now only delete/kill the script
>> editors.  That way I'm SURE to see the error messages.  Far too often
>> I have "saved" a script and the save did not take, with no error
>> window visible.
>

> I have never seen this, ever.

I've seen it, though not very often; I've seen things like it often -
almost "all the time", but not quite.
I'm not 100% sure it isn't something else I do, and I can't reliably
reproduce it "on demand", so I don't have a recipe for it.

A recipe for something similar (but where I know I'm "at fault") is:

edit a script
introduce an error
hit apply - see the error box
reposition the error box to be completely overlapped by the area of the
script editor window
fix that error
introduce another error
double-click the Apply button     (see - my fault- should be single
click !!)
this will flash up the error window - and then cover it up immediately
with the script editor window, so quickly that I can easily miss it.

Now the script editor shows "Apply" greyed out - so it looks as though
everything is OK.

At this point, I can Save the stack, and the faulty script is saved off
to the stack.

Of course, if I then close the script editor window, I get the dialog
asking if I want to "apply, cancel or don't apply" - but since I've not
made any intentional change, of course I'll say "don't apply".

Clearly, it's "my fault" - I double-clicked when I should have
single-clicked. But it sure is annoying.

[dialog boxes stay on top - why doesn't the error box just do that ?? ]

Also, the way the error box works encourages you (or at least, me) into
a poor behaviour.
edit a script
introduce an error
click on  "Apply"
the editor window disappears, and the error window appears showing the error
click on "Script"
fix the error
click on "Apply"
the editor window disappears, revealing the error window still hanging
around, looking just the same as it did before.

You can't tell whether the error window which is visible applies to what
you've just done, or is just a remainder from an earlier problem; so
there's a tendency to close the error box, and sometimes it turns out
that you were wrong and the error is current.

> To save/apply a script, either click the button at the bottom of the
> editor, or hit the Enter key on the keyboard while your cursor is
> somewhere in the script itself. To close the script editor window, hit
> the Enter key a second time. You should get any relevant error
> messages after the first "apply" (Enter key) is done.

This has (for me, on WinXP) the same problem as my example above. If I
hit Enter Enter, the error window flashes up but is immediately covered
up by the script editor window (in the case where the error window is
completely overlapped). If the system is a bit slow, then there is a
slight delay while Windows brings Rev back into memory - so the error
window appears only VERY briefly, if at all.

> If you mean you are clicking the close box on the editor window
> itself, you can do that, and you should get any compile error messages
> that way too. It is more standard to use either the Apply button or
> the Enter key though (and quicker.)

Another possible source of confusion is the poor (ok, appalling)
behaviour of Rev when it comes to switching between apps (as mentioned
by Jon). If you have an error window visible - but you use Alt-TAB to
switch to another app, when you come back to Rev (with Alt-TAB again),
the error window is NOT on top - it's hidden deep below other Rev windows.
(BZ 2593 describes the general problem area, without mentioning this
particular variation; I thought I had entered an earlier one on the same
topic, but can't find it now)

It drives me crazy that Rev has these windows that don't behave properly
(or at least, usefully) when the Ctrl-TAB and Alt-TAB shortcuts are
used. I use them all the time, but they are not useful for Rev, so
nowadays I just never have any other windows open when using Rev. Big
timewaster - but no worse than losing windows, and finding you have to
iconify all your other windows to find a lost window.

Hmmmm - iconify - why can't I do that to *all* Rev windows ?  If I have
a few scripts I want to edit, I have to shuffle editor window positions
so I can use the mouse to bring the one I want to the front, which is a
real pain. The rest of the world uses iconify to avoid needing to
carefully position multiple partially overlapped windows.