About Piracy but not about that guy...

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Thu Jun 2 11:46:51 EDT 2005

SimPLsol at aol.com wrote:

>Alex,
>What if the computer ID was contained on a removable chip (like the GSM chips
>in a cell phone)? Then, if the computer broke, or you upgraded to a new
>computer, you would just move the chip.

That would be much better.

>I know, what if the chip failed? Since it would be just a single, simple
>chip, failure would be less likely. Vendors would probably offer overnight chip
>replacement.

I wouldn't worry about chip failure;  upgrading to a new laptop or
desktop is fairly common - for me it happens every year or every other
year (my wife plays a lot of computer games, so she needs to keep fairly
up-to-date on hardware, and I get her cast-offs). Chip failure (esp. of
a simple one like this) would be much less common, so waiting for an
overnight shipment would be rare enough to not worry about it.

There are still other issues - I use 2 laptops and 3 desktop machines,
do I need 1 or 5 licenses ? multiple chips on one machine ? etc. - but a
SIM-chip like solution would be far better than hardwiring to something
fixed within the hardware (which I think is what the Newton did).