[OPINION] Re: Windows Absolute Control

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION at barncard.com
Thu Jun 2 13:03:55 EDT 2005

Let me preface this by saying my hat is off to you authors who have
no choice and struggle with Windows every day. And for those who love
Windows and think it's great, you might want to move on to the next
message.

>At 8:29 AM -0700 6/2/05, Mark Wieder wrote:
>>Alex-
>>
>>Thursday, June 2, 2005, 6:49:31 AM, you wrote:
>>
>>AT> I think that's a very user-unfriendly form of registration;  once I've
>>
>>but that's the way Microsoft handles client licenses... oh, right, I
>guess that's what you were saying...

Yes and a major reason why I won't do a project in Windoze. I got my
first cheap Wintel box last year ($300) to check web pages. I was
shocked one can't even change a hard drive in a XP Home system
without checking in to Galactic Command Center and going through a
procedure. It wasn't even the boot drive I was trying to upgrade, but
a removable tray. Talk about paranoia.

Hopefully Revoluton will raise the bar on Windows software and
interface design in general, as many of the designs I've seen on
common Windows programs are downright stupid, ugly, counterintuitive
and hard to use. The exceptions seem to be cross-platform ones the
authors strived to make Mac-like, like Pro-Tools or iTunes, Windoze
version, and the beautiful work that Eric and Chipp and others here
have done.   So I know it can be done..