Help, what am I doing wrong???

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Sun Jul 31 13:20:14 EDT 2005

Jon-

Sunday, July 31, 2005, 5:59:01 AM, you wrote:

J> It has been considered a bug, and flagged for the programmer,  in Delphi
J> for years.  I don't see how it can be considered anything else. Now as
J> to whether it is a bug that is reported in Rev with an error message,
J> that is a different story.

I wasn't aware that Delphi even *had* a "for each" element construct,
but then I haven't kept up with Delphi since v6.0 or so. Now that I've
googled it, I see that Borland added foreach support to Delphi 2005.
The documentation, though, clearly states that the loop indices are
provided as read-only references only and cannot be modified. Works
the same way in C#, in case you're interested.

Since this is a brand-new addition to Delphi, I'm not sure what you're
referring to in "has been considered a bug...for years". Nor how this
can be considered a bug, since it's clearly documented.

Personally, I prefer either the Perl or PHP implementations, where
you're free to use and modify the element since it's separate from the
loop index. Messing with a loop index is always a Bad Idea.
Interestingly, in Perl changing the loop element changes the original
referenced element, while in PHP the original value is unchanged.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net