Getting the type code of a file under OSX

Eric Chatonet eric.chatonet at sosmartsoftware.com
Sat Jul 30 05:40:22 EDT 2005

Hi Brian,

As the files function returns a list sorted by alphabetical order, I
don't think it's necessary.

Le 30 juil. 05 à 11:35, Brian Yennie a écrit :

> Quick observation... you may get unreliable results when the name
> of one file is a substring of the name of another file in the same
> folder. You might try adding a comma to the file name, or using
> itemOffset() and wholeMatches.
>
> HTH
> - Brian
>

>> Hi Howard,
>>
>> You could use AppleScript but doing this with Transcript is easy
>> and fast:
>>
>> function CreatorAndType pFilePath
>>   local tDefaultFolder,tCreatorType
>>   -----
>>   if the platform <> "MacOs" then return "Error: filetype not
>> supported"
>>   put the defaultFolder into tDefaultFolder
>>   set the itemdel to slash
>>   set the defaultFolder to item 1 to -2 of pFilePath
>>   put urlDecode(the detailed files) into tFiles
>>   put line lineOffset(item - 1 of pFilePath,tFiles) of tFiles into
>> tFile
>>   set the defaultFolder to tDefaultFolder
>>   set the itemDel to comma
>>   put item 11 of tFile into tCreatorType
>>   if tCreatorType = empty then return "Error: could not find the
>> filetype"
>>   return char 1 to 4 of item 11 of tFile & comma & char 5 to 8 of
>> item -1 of tFile
>>   -- creator and type separated by a comma
>> end CreatorAndType
>>
>> Best Regards from Paris,
>>
>> Eric Chatonet.
>>
>> Le 30 juil. 05 à 01:56, Howard Bornstein a écrit :
>>

>>> I wanted to check to see if I'm missing something obvious. I want to
>>> be able to get the type code of a specific file under OSX. As far as
>>> I've been able to find, there is only one way to get the type code--
>>> with the files function. The detailed files includes the type and
>>> creator codes. However, this gets the entire list of files in the
>>> default folder. Unless there's something I'm missing, the sequence
>>> would be something like this:
>>>
>>> 1) Get the full path of the file you want the type code for
>>> 2) Extract the folder it's in
>>> 3) Set the default folder to that folder
>>> 4) Get the detailed files
>>> 5) Compare the file name with item one of every line in the files
>>> 6) When you find a match, extract the last item from the detailed