Mac->Win revisited

Thomas McGrath III 3mcgrath at adelphia.net
Thu Jul 28 12:45:21 EDT 2005

Jac,

I was actually referring to grabbing  video in QT (referring to it
being a player type object) as in:

In stack: (this is to clean it up on quit/close of stack)
on closeStack
   revCloseVideoGrabber
end closeStack

In Initialize button:
on mouseUp
revInitializeVideoGrabber short name of this stack, "QT", the rect of
this stack
end mouseUp

In record button:
on mouseUp
   revRecordVideo "mymovie.avi"
end mouseUp

In stop button:
on mouseUp
revStopRecordingVideo
end mouseUp

It is my understanding that not calling revCloseVideoGrabber on
quit/close could cause memory problems.
 From the docs:
If your application uses video capture, you should execute the
revCloseVideoGrabber command either when your application is finished
using video capture, when the stack that uses video capture is closed
(in a closeStack handler), or when your application quits (in a
shutdown handler).
The Video library loads the operating system's video capture software
into memory when you use the revInitializeVideoGrabber command. The
revCloseVideoGrabber command unloads this software, freeing up the
memory it uses, when you're done.

Of course the same is true for speech:
revUnloadSpeech
from the docs:
Important!  If your application uses text to speech, you should execute
the revUnloadSpeech command either when your application is finished
using text to speech, when the stack that uses speech is closed (in a
closeStack handler), or when your application quits (in a shutdown
handler). This saves memory.

But it turns out the original thread was about the Dreamcard Player
anyway so this is a mute point.

Tom