Justify text in a field

Lynch, Jonathan bnz2 at cdc.gov
Thu Jul 28 09:43:00 EDT 2005

>Do you mean the formattedrect of a single line?

Certainly - You can do formattedrect for any chunk of a field, be it
lines, characters, words, etc...

>if i remember well, Colin inserted spaces between
>words, and set the styles of words to extended and
>condensed, but i could not find his code now. :-(

This sounds like it would be designed not for centering, but for having
the line spread out evenly from right to left (I forget what that is
called). Is that what you need? The calculations would be a bit more
complex, but still quite doable.

>In scrolling fields this could take a while.
>Did you had some timings available for this
>technique? In this way i could know beforehand if
>it is user's friendly.

Ah - you are not just talking about centering a single line, you are
talking about having all lines spread out evenly. The would get a bit
tricky. Once you did this, you would not really be able to properly type
in that field, without it doing weird stuff.

>This idea is fine and very precise,
>but what will happen if you had to
>copy and paste this text elsewhere.

If you pasted it into another field in Rev, with the same settings and
dimensions, it should work fine. However, pasted somewhere else that was
not in Rev, or in a Rev field with different settings, it would be a
mess.

>You'll be carrying a lot of empty space
>with the copied text, unless you perform
>some cleaning up in copied text. :-(

I think perhaps I was confused by what you mean by the word 'Justify' -
I think of that as a word to go with left, right, and center
justification. I just looked it up, and the evenly spread out type is
called 'double justification'. In html, you would do something like:
justification.

I think, for what it sounds like you are doing, you really need
something like that. Unfortunately, Rev doesn't give that option - yet.

As long as a field is wide enough, and a given screen line contains
enough words, manipulating expanded and condensed characters should make
this possible - sounds kind of difficult to me.

subscription preferences: