Urgent (desperate) cry for help...

xbury.cs at clearstream.com xbury.cs at clearstream.com
Thu Jul 28 09:07:05 EDT 2005

according to my version here in Win2003 (like XP), i also get

URLencode("Coördinator")=Co%F6rdinator

so i would assume the problem to be with the urlencode function or the way
windows and mac differ on that kind of translation...

Oh yes... macs and pcs dont encode ö as the same ASCII so it must be
perfectly normal....

sorry for the bad news...
---------------------=---------------------
Xavier Bury

use-revolution-bounces at lists.runrev.com wrote on 28/07/2005 14:58:41:

> I know I'm doing something wrong, there has to be a better way, but I
> just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong...
>
> Situation:
> - mySQL 4.1 running on a windows server
> - RR 2.6 OSX & Windows XP
> - Clients need to be Mac OS9, Mac OS-X and Windows XP
>
> I started development on the OS-X. Data in a field on a card needs to
> be stored in the database.
> No problem there for regular text, but when entering text with
> special chars in, it's a no-go... The word "Coördinator" appears in
> the database as "Co".
>
> In a clever moment (at least that's what I thought), very early in
> the project, I implemented the URLencode and URLdecode functions to
> get rid of this pesky little problem.
>
> Then D-Day arrived: We had to install at the client the first beat-
> version of the program, to start testing.
>
> First the OS-X Macs: Works like a charm.
> Then the Windows machines... No way of getting the data in the
> correct way out of the database!
>
> URLencode("Coördinator") on OSX stores "Co%9Ardinator" in the database
> URLencode("Coördinator") on Windows stores "Co%F6rdinator" in the
> database
> URLdecode of the Mac-encoded data on the PC obviously returns the
> wrong data :-((
>
> The tables in mySQL are set to accept UTF-8, when I enter the text
> manually there is no problem with special chars, so it is RR needing
> something special.
>
> Anyone, HELP, PLEASE!!!!
>
> - Waht is the best way to communicate with mySQL?
> - Why is the URLencode different on both platforms WITHOUT ANY
> NOTIFICATION IN THE MANUAL?
> - And of course: What is the proper way to enter and retrieve data in
> and out a mySQL?
>
> The URLencode/decode stuff shocked me, the main problem must be
> something stupid...
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>

> Ton Kuypers
> Digital Media Partners bvba
> Tel. +32 (0)477 / 739 530
> Fax +32 (0)14 / 71 03 04
> http://www.dmp-int.com

Visit us at http://www.clearstream.com

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Internet communications are not secure and therefore Clearstream
International does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of
this message.

legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or
any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is
prohibited and may be unlawful. Any views expressed in this e-mail are
those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically
states them to be the views of Clearstream International or of any of
its affiliates or subsidiaries.

END OF DISCLAIMER