Mac->Win revisited

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Thu Jul 28 04:53:12 EDT 2005

Thomas McGrath III wrote:

> Pardon me chiming in here.
>
> When using things like players and speech etc. it is our
> responsibility to close them ourselves in our code when and if for any
> reason our program is to quit. So I would put a piece of script in a
> on closeStack that takes care of the player when closing.

Quite right - except that the context here is that the "Player" that
Charles was referring to is the Dreamcard Player, which he's using to
run the stacks.

> This is because players and speech use libraries and/or QT etc. to
> work and like a serial port that is opened it must be closed or
> problems may occur. This is good coding practice.
>
> Maybe you can have in each stack an on closeStack that checks if all
> three (+-) stacks are closed and 'then' closes the player only if all
> are closed.

We do indeed need to do that with audio, video etc. players - but I
don't think it's possible for a stack to close the DC Player in a
controlled way, and arguably it shouldn't need to.

If you double-click a stack icon to run it, when the stack closes 'it'
should disappear completely  (i.e. taking the player away with it).
Otherwise, there's no way to provide a transparent experience for the
user - she shouldn't need to know whether the software I've distributed
to her is an application in its own right, or uses some player mechanism
to run.