[ANN] Beta Release for penToolv032d

Alejandro Tejada capellan2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 27 23:05:03 EDT 2005

Hi Developers,

Thanks a lot for sending your comments about
this beta version of "penToolv32d"!

> When you change from a tool (like the "Edit
Selection
> tool", the "Add-point tool", the "Delete-point tool"

> and the "Convert-point tool") to any other tool,
this
> "selected state" do not change. The graphic still
> shows all the vertex, control points and handles.
> These points should dissapear.

You are right, these vertex, control points and
handles
should "disappear" or "retract".
i'm going to use a custom property
in the palette or the graphic to recognize and
change his state when the user change tools.

> How did i change the shape of a graphic?

1- Choose the "Edit Selection tool" in the palette
"penTool" and click on the graphic.
A blue line with vertex, control points
and handles appears around the graphic.

2- Move the vertex and control points to reshape
the graphic.

3- When you finish editing the graphic,
double click on the border of the blue graphic,
and the graphic redraws itself with the new shape
that you had edited.

In other tools, the graphics redraws itself as
soon as the user left the mouse button.
They are triggering the redraw action using
a mouseup message.

i choose to use a mousedoubleup message to
add some fancy options like create a duplicate
of the object. At last moment, this option produced
some problems, but later i'll add this functionality.

> When you use the "Edit Selection tool", a blue
> graphic appears in the border of selected graphic.
> How could i change this colour to another?

To change this color, you had to edit the script of
the
"Edit Selection tool". It's hardwired there, but there
are plans to add a preference to change this color at
will or the script choose a color with contrast to
the border color. Wait for this in a next release

> You are using two different ways to show the vertex,
> controls and handlers in the graphic. Could you
> settle for one of them?

Yes, eventually, i will use only one method to show
and manipulate the vertex, control points and handles.

When testing for the tools: "add-point",
"delete-point" and "convert-point" is finished
then i'll select the method of the "Edit selection
tool".

> Could you add textures to the color palette?

Eventually, yes. ;-)

> What are your plans for this tool?

After finished this beta, i'll add text and image
support for the export and import stack.

> Did you accept colaborations to finish this stack?

Sure! Malte Brill offered help and i told him to check

the code for importing Adobe ilustrator files.
After checking his work with the arcade engine, i
think
that he could help with the "Star tool", adding a lot
of different shapes.

i hope to convert this "PenTool" project in a
collaborative effort. We just have to wait until
experienced developers find the time to help.
i really want to see that this collaboration happen
anytime. It's an invaluable opportunity to learn from
my mistakes and from their wise code. :-)

Thanks a lot for your time to test this tool!
Keep sending your comments to my e-mail,
Have a nice day!

al

Visit my site:
http://www.geocities.com/capellan2000/