Newbie ? Answered

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 20:47:29 EDT 2005

On 7/27/05, Hamburger1 at aol.com <Hamburger1 at aol.com> wrote:
> I know I have to and enthusiastically want to finally wean myself from
> HyperCard. I expect that will happen by the end of the year.

Wow, and I thought I was still clinging to the past. 1 x Quadra 650 on
7.6, 1 x Performa 6400 on 8.6, 2 x Beige G3s on 9.2 and everything
else on OSX, yet I came to the conclusion that I had to move from HC
years ago. Looked at RealBasic for a short while but Rev was the on
Real choice;-)

If you have persevered with HC this long, then I imagine you'll have
what it takes to make the transition to Rev. If you are anything like
me, then depending on the size of your stack you'll have a couple of
weeks of frustration/head scratching. Then when your head (not stack)
is finally converted to the Rev way, things will really start falling
into place and progress will be much quicker. Also you'll come to
appreciation of all the extra potential that Rev offers over HC.

And then will come the desire to completely rewrite your stack -
cleaner, faster, and with more features.

One warning though, Rev is NOT as stable as HC, and understandably so.
Rev has so many more features and has to cope with cross platform
compatibility. Even so, its frequent crashes (2.6 is so much  better
than 2.2) can become annoying unless you are prepared. I do two
things:

1) Each new day I start working on a stack, I open it, ie MyStack v87,
and immediately "Save As..." with a new sequential number, ie MyStack
v88. If I completely stuff up the stack with my 'new feature' I can
always go back to yesterdays working copy.

2) EVERY time I change a script I use the "Apply and Save" menu. This
adds a little time to the process, but you'll eventually be VERY glad
you did.

Good luck